Heat therapy - Hot stone massage
1. What is heat therapy - hot stone massage?
- Helps relieve muscle tension and pain.
- Increase Blood flow to the applied area.
- Reduce muscle spasms.
- Increase flexibility.
- Increase Range of Motion.
- Reduce Stress and Anxiety.
- Promotes Sleep
- Anyone who is experiencing muscle tension and pain, insomnia, or stress may benefit from a hot stone massage.
2. How to prepare for the session:
Draping is provided using sheets
Patient Gowns are available on request
- If you have a long hair, tie it up to a ponytail so your hair won’t get in the way when the therapist works on your neck and shoulders.
- It’s also a good idea not to wear any jewelry.
- Dress comfortably. Avoid wearing many layers of clothing when you go for a massage.
- A hot stone therapy session will require you to be naked but you will be appropriately covered with a blanket during the session, exposing only a part of the body being treated at a time. If you’re feeling self-conscious about being naked, be sure to tell your therapist so she can make arrangements for you to feel comfortable and less anxious.
- Arrive on time.
- You need time to relax and cool down before the session.
- Communicate with your therapist for any preferences that you may have. If you like dimmer lighting, or the aroma of the room makes you dizzy, or you prefer another type of background music, never hesitate to speak up. Good communication is one of the keys to having an ultimate massage experience.
- Drink plenty of water before the session to help flush out the toxins from your body.
- Do the same after to avoid getting dehydrated.
- Don’t eat a heavy meal at least one hour before your scheduled appointment.
- Relax. This is probably the most important step in your preparation.
- Loosen up those tightened muscles and let your mind wander and take you to a peaceful place where there is nothing to worry about, where the words laundry, office work or stress do not exist.
- Avoid drinking caffeine and alcohol couple of hours ahead
- Avoid strenuous exercise or activity for at least a few hours after your massage, and ideally until the next day.
- The massage will release a lot of toxins out of your muscles which can make you feel a little washed out.
- Drink plenty of water. This is important to help flush the toxins from your system.
- You may feel tired/sleepy and possibly a little emotional too. This is normal.
3. Choosing Treatments:
60 min sessions follows a typical swedish modality
Stones are placed after the upper back routine and may be used in one focus area but not extensively used on full body
- Hot Stones are used extensively throughout the massage from the beginning
- Most of the massage is actually done using the stones and less hands
- Deep work is performed including gua sha using stones
- This modality feels powerful, deep, may be painful and profound
- gua sha using stones
- shoulder treatment
- lower back
- detailed and comprehensive body work